Skip to content
Oculus Quest Users
- Send your Oculus user (email used to create the Oculus account) to redouane.kachach [at] nokia-bell-labs.com so we can grant you access to our Nokia OpenVPN Oculus app
- Once we receive your email, we will grant you access to the app so you should be able to install it from your Oculus HMD
Owl Software Installation
- Download the Owl app from the Oculus AppLab store. For this, using the Quest2 standard menus in the HMD: search text “owl” and select from the results the one from the AppLab.
- Download the Nokia OpenVPN app from the Oculus AppLab
- Get both Oculus controllers (Important)
- Launch the Owl app in the HMD.
- In the Owl menu click on the “Download Cert” button. If everything is OK you will get a message “File downloaded correctly”. This will download the VPN certificate to the HMD.
- Exit the Owl app (forcing it with the Oculus menu clicking on the oculus button)
- Launch the OpenVPN app and Click on the + sign to add a new certificate. Navigate to Download directory.
- In option “Import from file” you will already see a file present with extension “.ovpn”.
- Select it and click on import.
Join the conference
- Go to main screen of OpenVPN and click on the activation button (owl certificate)
- It should connect to our OpenVPN server (button turns green)
- Launch the Owl app (wait a little bit until you are in the Owl main hall)
- Customize your Avatar, save it and go back to the Owl main hall (using the Owl icon)
- In the main menu write your name, uncheck the 3D checkbox and hit Start the session.
Owl app Installation
- Download and install the owl apk from the http://ismar.distributed-reality.com/securefileshare/owl_android_client_v1.0.044_app-lab.apk
- Navigate to the apk (using Android apps menu) and make sure all the required permissions are granted
- Open the apk after installation and grant the permissions it asks for (microphone and camera basically)
- Hit the Get Cert button to download the certificate (it will leave it in the Phone Downloads directory)
- Quit the Owl application
Install OpenVPN app
- Install OpenVPN from Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn&hl=es&gl=US
- Open the app and hit the big + button
- Select File tab and navigate to Download directory
- Select the owl.ovpn file and hit Import button
- Hit ADD button (upper right corner)
Join the conference
- Use wired headphones (otherwise your phone will introduce an annoying echo in the conference)
- Open OpenVPN and connect the configured tunnel (it must turn green if everything is OK)
- Open Owl app
- Introduce your name in the Name field
- Hit the Start button to join the conference in 2D mode or
- If you have a cardboard HMD compatible with your phone, enable VR (check the VR box) and join the immersive conference.